There’s something very satisfying about going to a local farmers market or even visiting a farm or orchard and picking out the freshest produce, directly from the grower in order to create a special seasonal menu. Throughout the North East during the fall, roadside markets selling pumpkins and squash can be found everywhere as the country gets ready to decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving.
Roadside farmers market in Vermont, USA.
We are fortunate to be close to the wonderful Northside Produce Market here in Sydney that is held on the third Saturday of every month. On our recent visit, we sourced fresh fruits and vegetables, cheeses, wines, meat, flowers and eggs all directly from growers all over NSW. Totally inspired by what we found, we created our beautifully fragrant Autumn Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (contact us for the recipe).
We also recently found out about the wonderful Locavore fresh produce guides. The guide has been produced for Victoria, with the NSW version coming in Spring 2012. The guide is a wonderful resource for sourcing seasonal produce directly from growers and should provide plenty of inspiration for seasonal cooking: http://www.locavored.com/field-guides/
Next on the list was creating our Autumn table using accessories in all the colours of the fall. Here’s a picture of our table. We used linen and accessories in varying shades of orange, green and gold.
We’ve put together an inspiration board for putting together an Autumn table using the same colour pallet. Our board uses coloured linens from Sferra, beautiful china and glassware from some of the world’s finest brands as well as accessories available from Moyarta.
1. Sferra Festival Linens, available in tablecloths, napkins and placemats. Colours shown are Paprika, Sunset, Brick and Sage. http://www.moyarta.com
2. Bernardaud Frivole after dinner cup and saucer. http://www.bernardaud.fr/
3. Wedgewood Dynasty Soup Bowl. www.royaldesign.com.au
4. Moyarta Olive Woven Placemat. http://www.moyarta.com
5. Medusa Soup Ladle by Versace. http://www.rosenthal.de
6. Kim Seybert Glassware. http://www.moyarta.com
7. Moyarta Lime Flower Burst Napkin Ring. http://www.moyarta.com
8. Kim Seybert Herringbone Napkin. http://www.moyarta.com